Three years ago, S2S embarked on an ambitious project to follow-up the unprecendented success of Bistro Affair, the only French album so far to be released in Singapore. The result is Oriental Jazz, an album of favourite Mandarin classics with soothing bossanova treatments. You can call it the Chinese revolution.
In a real East-meets-West affair, the album is the collaborative effort of numerous individuals, whose locations span four continents. The organic, authentic jazz/bossanova rednitions of the Mandarin tunes were crafted by arrangers from Brazil, the birthplace of bossanova.
Recorded in Brazil and engineered by an expert and meticulous team from France and Japan, the album was produced by Marc Collin, who brought you Bistro Affair, and Jun Kagami from Japan. To ensure the best sound quality possible, the album was mastered at the The Mastering Lab in USA by Grammy-award winning engineer Doug Sax (Earth, Wind and Fire, Ray Charles, Diana Krall), in 24bit and 96kHz sample rate. Every textural nuance; every melodic detail – they all have been captured for optimum listening pleasure.
S2S is proud to feature the vocals of established or up-and-coming Singaporean singers:
• Jazz-pop songstress Tay Kewei is leading talent at her record label, S2S, with two albums already under her belt. An er-hu player and composer, Kewei has sung her way to regional fame. After being crowned Local New Artist (Media’s Choice) at the 16th Singapore Hit Awards, she was chosen to represent the nation at the Hong Kong Asian-Pop Music Festival.
• Juliet Pang makes her long-awaited and well-deserved recording debut on Oriental Jazz. Although she was previously signed to Ocean Butterfly, the circumstances were not favourable at the time and nothing came to fruition.
• Yee SiLing is yet another vocalist unearthed by S2S in the label’s search for existing, promising, new talent in Singapore. She also makes her recording debut on Oriental Jazz. This album promises to enrapture listeners with intricate jazz harmonies and uplifting arrangements as they carry sentimental melodies of Chinese classics such as Winter Sonata, the theme from the show of the same name. Expect nothing less than an enchanting fusion of East and West.
1. 親密愛人 Dearest Love (New interpretation of Anita Mui’s Classic Hit Song)
2. 秋意濃 In The Deep of Autumn (New interpretation of Jacky Cheung’s Classic Hit Song)
3. 聽說愛情回來過 Love Was Here (New interpretation of Sandy Lam’s Classic Hit Song)
4. 從開始到現在 Winter Sonata (New interpretation of Jeff Chang’s Classic Hit Song)
5. 雖然我願意 Even Though (New interpretation of Wu Jia Hui’s Classic Hit Song)
6. 雙城故事 The Tale of Two Cities (New interpretation of Karen Mok’s Classic Hit Song)
7. 流沙 Quicksand (New interpretation of David Tao’s Classic Hit Song)
8. 影子 Shadow (New interpretation of Nicky Lee’s Classic Hit Song)
9. 城裡的月光 Moonlight In The City (New interpretation of Mavis Hee’s Classic Hit Song)
10. 償還 Bitter Love (New interpretation of Teresa Teng’s Classic Hit Song)
11. 流淚手心 Tears In My Hands (New interpretation of LeeHom Wang’s Classic Hit Song)
12. 情人 Lover (New interpretation of Beyond’s Classic Hit Song)
雖然我願意 Even Though
秋意濃 In The Deep of Autumn (New interpretation of Jacky Cheung’s Classic Hit Song)